Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Hospital Week

August 1-2, 2017
    While writing emails on p-day, I started feeling super cold.  I didn’t think much about it until the weakness hit me.  I hadn’t eaten all day and I had fasted yesterday, so I thought that I just needed to get to the house and eat something in order to feel better.  But as we went home I started feeling worse and worse.  When we got home I didn’t feel like I could eat anything at al.  I lied down for a rest for a few minutes hoping that would help me, but I kept getting sicker.  Then it really hit me with a high fever, stomach pains, and diarrhea.  There was no way that I could leave the house.  It sapped all of my energy. 
    I woke up about 5 times last night with diarrhea and was pretty miserable.  I woke up late super sore.  We didn’t leave the house until noon because I couldn’t stay out of the bathroom.  We didn’t really know what to do with our day. Then we left to look for a bunch of people who weren’t home.  We ate with a member and then looked for a bunch more people who weren't home. Then to distract my miserable self, Elder F told me all about his chicken/rooster fighting days.  He told me all about the different training and fighting tactics.  Not a spiritual topic, I know. 
August 2, 2107
    Today was one of those days where it’s really kind of sucky but then it turns out okay.  We went to Guzman for District Class which I had not prepared for due to my sickness. There was a lot of confusion and I thought we weren't going to have class and then ended up having to teach.  So I had to wing it and I didn’t feel great.  It went all right though because I just used material that I used in Vallarta.  After that, the zone leaders gave us mosquito repellant that is so toxic you are not supposed to use it inside the house, but you are suppose use it on your clothes and on your bed?! I am not to excited about using something that could blind me on my bedding, but they are concerned about Zika down here. 
    After that it was another one of those not finding anyone to teach kind of days intermixed with lots of trips to the bathroom.  In the evening while we were unsuccessfully contacting, we walked past two ladies who were outside their houses.  We we at the very end of our day and decided to talk to them as a last chance to share the gospel.  Turns out that one of them was super depressed because of her family problems and health concerns.  She broke down and started crying right there in front of us.  We listened and shared a few spiritual thoughts and she asked us to come back.  her neighbor also asked if she could join us when we came back.  MIRACLE!  We said a prayer with them and hopefully we can meet with them again on Friday.  Hopefully the zone leaders can help us with divisions that day because my comp is having surgery tomorrow!


August 3, 2017
    Today my companion had his surgery in a sketchy Mexican hospital.  We arrived at the hospital after stopping by the zone leaders apartment for a blessing.  The doctor hadn’t arrived yet, so we just sat around and waited for an hour. My companion was assigned to a TINY room, but at least it had a bathroom.  They started his IV, but then forgot to run the fluids in so the IV hurt until another doctor noticed that it was running.  I waited alone while he was in surgery which only took about an hour.  He was super high from the anesthesia and would not stop talking.  He kept asking me to touch his feet.  He also said a prayer in English (which he does not speak) and that was pretty funny.  But when the painkillers wore off, man he was in a lot of pain.  The incision is only about the length of my finger, but he was really suffering and thrashing around.  It seemed like he was moving around way too much tossing from side to side.  He was also super nauseated and gagged several times. Another Elder came to stay with him tonight to give me a break.  I am sure that he will not get any sleep.  I went with his companion to stay in their house for the night.

Before Surgery

After Surgery
  August 4, 2017
    Everything went well for me today.  I still made lots and lots of trips to the bathroom, but it was good to get some sleep in the zone leaders house.  I got to sleep in a real bed and shower which was nice.  We left the house early to relieve Elder M at the hospital.  It was a long night for him, poor guy.  After that the zone leaders and i stayed with my companion all day.  They did bring some food for us which was nice because the only food in the zone leaders house was cocoa crispies.  Hospital food really isn’t that bad if you are used to a missionaries diet.  My companion did okay today, but they wanted him to stay an extra night.  They got him up at around 2 to walk around and use the restroom.  He did complain quite a bit though.  It doesn’t seem like his pain meds are working for him.  I tried to study, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.  Something about hospitals just makes me want to sleep and after a while I just get a headache.  I don’t know why.  The zone leaders asked permission to stay with us and we had a party in the tiny room. We ordered 30$ worth of hamburgers and played “Scripture Power”.  You have to think of weird things or difficult subject/phrases and find them in the scriptures. It’s next level stuff. The sister missionaries called me at 11:30 super scared.  Someone had been trying to force their door open to their apartment and they have some super sketchy neighbors.  So for the next hour we called the closest members to go and check on them.  Super scary, but nothing happened to them.  Other than that, sleeping on the hospital floor was fun!  Overtime the nurse came in, I had to get up and move out of the way.  It was an adventure for sure.
August 5, 2017
    Today was good!  Wie finally got to leave the hospital at around noon.  When they took out my comps IV it squirted me with his blood, gross ha! A member gave us a ride back to Tamazula for $400 pesos which is a pretty good deal (well sort of.) His car was super nice and we can get reimbursed for our expense, and he took us to the pharmacy to get my companions medication.  I am a little concerned though because the medication was super cheap and that makes me think that they are not going to work.  Ibuprofen costs more than the pain medication he was given.  Plus the fact that he was in a ton of pain this afternoon makes me wonder if he got what he needs. It was a long afternoon full of, “Man I can’t deal with this pain, I can’t take it.” I feel sorry for him, but there isn’t much I can do to help him.  I mainly just tried to read to pass the time.  I made a nice dinner and listened to some hymns. Pretty relaxing for me, but he was suffering.
August 6, 2017
    This is the first Sunday on my mission that I have not gone to church.  A brother from the ward stopped by to give us the sacrament and told us that there were a grand total of 7 members in church today.  There is a lot of work here to do and we are stuck in the house for a couple of weeks.  My companion had a really tough day today, even worse than yesterday.  He wanted to call the President at one point and then Jairo showed up with his mom.  I opened the door and they said, “Hola, we are here to visit your companion!”  Then they just walked in before I could say anything.  We can’t just let people into our house like that without permission.  But what makes it worse is that the sister looked at his medication and said that the painkiller he had was terrible.  She also asked about what diet he was on, and then they left.  They came back a short time later with a pain injection and pills.  I mean, she is a nurse so I am not too worried about it, but as missionaries we can’t just let members give our companions injections.  But, my comp was suffering and was pretty desperate to get some relief.  She gave him a shot right in the butt. I still don’t know what she gave him, but it helped him a lot.  He keeps telling me that he needs another shot, but I think we are done with that.  The sister also brought some food that my companion can eat.  The members are taking really good care of us even though they are few in number.  I do have to cook though.  I made some oatmeal this morning that my companion just loved.  I think that he was just really hungry, but he raved about how good it was.  I’m pretty impressed at how good my food turns out though! Lots of eggs, protein, and fruit, vitamins and other stuff that I don’t know anything about. Other than that, I have spent a lot of time studying, relaxing, and listening to the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment