Blog Archive

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Catch up




March 9, 2017
    Okay, WOW, I basically have not written anything this whole transfer…que triste ya lo se.  But, I’ve already paid the price for being lazy because I have forgotten some things. Anyway, the past few weeks have been a rollercoaster in terms of everything.  I have been grateful for my companions though.  Even though they don’t speak Spanish very well, and they talk about girls waaaay too much, and are sometimes a bit fritos (but we all are a little bit), I have learned a lot and laughed a lot. It did get out of hand and we had to have a little discussion about “why it is important to follow the rules” which morphed into the purpose of a mission and life in general.  I felt that the discussion was guided by the spirit, especially because I learned a lot of things too.  Up until this point in my mission, I have thought of other churches as being apostate (which is true to an extent.) But, what I have been struggling with, without even realizing it, is that I have been putting myself above other religions in a way just because I have “the truth”. There are so many people int h world who are just better people than I am from all different religions.  I haven’t been able to recognize or humble myself to realize that a super Catholic Mexican could be a better follower of Christ than I am.  Like which Christ will say to those people who do things in his name to get gain or for personal pride, “I never knew you” or “you never knew me”, that scares me.  (especially the latter)  Of course I don’t think I am really like that, but I do need to be more humble.  One thing that I have learned from working with Elder C. is that even though we may disagree, we must learn to be an agreeable people.  Elder M. is a funny guy, he boils water in a frying pan and talks in his sleep. 
    Other than that, not much has happened other than interviews with the President and stake conference.  I went on divisions with the assistants to Tepic.  In my interview with the President I learned that if we are being obedient and working hard it is good, but it is much better when we are doing it out of love and because we actually want to do it.  That is what God really wants, is for us to want to do his will. The only other thing that we did during the interviews was practice the outlines of the missionary lessons.  Pretty uneventful, but Herman Clayton gave us skittle and caramel so I was happy.  Stake Conference was good and even said they loved it.  I liked the conference in Manzanillo better where President got on the level of the people and was more personal with them.  Granted, there were too many people in this conference to do that with, but still. I just like it when the leaders approach the people with friendliness and opens, and also really listening to the people.  The visiting  authority used the same example that Dallin Oaks did in our stake conference a while back by putting his suit jacket on a young deacon to illustrate the principle of growing in your calling. 
    The next week we went on divisions with the zone leaders to Las Varas which is a really hot little pueblo like an hour and a half away.  It was actually Elder C. old area before they closed it, but is is still open only to the zone leaders.  It was a good day.  We went on a little hike in the morning and worked.  I enjoyed it even thoughts much hotter there. 


    Then the next week we went on divisions with the assistants in Tepic.  This is where my trainer started his mission.  It was actually really a fun day and I think that it helped Elder C. to talk to a convert who has had a lot of experiences like he has.  Tomorrow we get to go to Tepic again for a tai-zone conference thing.  Today we went to a dermatologist for Elder C to figure out why he has been having hives since before he came out on his mission.  Turns out it is caused by parasites, so we had to buy a bunch of medications for him. The doctor was in a really quiet little place with a McDonalds in it, so my companions convinced me to let them buy fast food even though it was really expensive. 


    Sometimes it is easy to feel like the mission is monotonous, but there is always something weird or new happening in the midst of the monotony.  One of our investigators friends is literally in love with us, for example.  This is not a problem because she is like 13 or something, but it is seriously weird.  Then there was the guy we talked to who talked about his plan to change the government because Christ told him to.  The list of things like that goes on and on.  Everyday is an adventure of sorts.  I really should write more of that stuff down.

My ward meeting house
 

No comments:

Post a Comment